Tuesday 11 March 2014

LET THERE BE SPRING!

The temperature in Toronto today is a balmy 9 degrees.  Totally awesome.  When I was done teaching my fitness class at 2pm this afternoon, I was feeling so recharged and my eyes lit up, because the warm sunshine coupled with the smell of spring in the air made me feel so alive.  Knowing that tomorrow's forecast will bring more snow and freezing temperatures is a bit of a downer to me, but as my best friend pointed out in a text, 'Don't think about tomorrow.  Enjoy today'!  Spot on, JRS.  You're absolutely right.

Which brings to me to the subject of this post:  When the weather is this good, we should really try extra-hard to fully immerse ourselves in every shining moment and make sure we don't take it for granted.  Because clearly, it's not going to last.  SHITE.

Last year around this time, we were blessed to have an unusually random day of warm weather in the middle of March.  I remember it like it was yesterday--the sky was a gorgeous blue, not a cloud in the sky, it was 15 degrees outside, and I was sipping some fine liqueur, toasting the arrival of spring. 

Only days later, we were hit with another blast of winter and it took the wind out of my sails.  Some of us put our winter gear away, but it was useless to do so--we had to don our coats and boots for another 2 weeks.  As you can see, harnessing the good times is so vitally important and truly living in the moment is utterly crucial.

This winter has been especially tough all across the board--below freezing temperatures for 10 solid days, a chaotic ice storm, power outages across the GTA leading up to the Christmas season, people feeling despondent, depressed and downtrodden.  It was a one hell of a season, which kicked our asses.  But, we're about to embark on a seasonal shift; one which I'm positive will bring on the joy, freedom and 'lightness of being' we've all been craving.

I find spring to be the most luscious season of them all.  Born in May, I am a child of spring.  I have always loved flowers and watching them grow from tiny buds into blooming works of art.  I like to watch people transform, as well.  From the dark days of winter, to the eye-opening splendour of spring, it's remarkable how we evolve.  We can't quite put it into words, but we can sense it.  People are lighter.  We wear less clothing too, which seemingly puts us all in a happier state of mind. 

I can't wait for patio season.  Tank tops and shorts, sandals and hats, sunglasses and open roof tops in our cars.  It's on the way, folks.

If you're reading this:  Congratulations on making it through another hard-ass winter.  It takes a great deal of fortitude and patience to endure such harsh temperatures, and come out the other end, smiling.
Well done.  May the upcoming warm weather bring you joy and nothing but 'pep in your step'.

Until my next post,
Ciao!






No comments:

Post a Comment