Tuesday 23 October 2012

What's wrong with people?

It has been a very long time since I've enjoyed watching a comedian on television.  A few days ago, I caught the act of Sebastian Maniscalco and loved every minute of it.  This fellow was so true-to-form on stage.  He shared relevant topics of interest and added his unique flare to his performance.  He was genuinely funny and real. 

Which brings me to my reason for writing today;  I think I'm a rather keen observer of human interaction and body language and lately, I've found myself getting agitated watching how people relate to each another in public.  I always question why people do what they do and why most unassuming folks say the darnedest things...
Sebastian's comedy act is entitled, 'What's wrong with people'?, and I couldn't agree more. 

For instance, I'm sure you've witnessed a family squabble or two when you've been out in public.  Have you ever seen mothers talk to their kids in the most inappropriate ways possible? 

The other day I overheard a young woman bawling out her two kids for being so rambunctious at the nail salon, where I was getting a pedicure.  Seriously, did she really think that her two young boys would sit still and be angels while she got primped?   I just found it so laughable as she pretended like no one else was around.  She raised her voice a number of times and finally, she called her husband on her cell phone to come and pick up the boys.  Why the hell did you bring them to your 'sanctuary' in the first place, you dumb bimbo?

Hey, I'm not a mother and perhaps I'm speaking out of line here, but why does common sense get thrown out the window when it comes to children?  Why do people embarrass themselves in front of onlookers?  Do they even care?  Are they so dense that they can't see past their own noses?  Frankly, it's really atrocious, and you can bet that when I'm a parent, none of that shit will go down.

Another quick story:  I was having lunch with my husband last week and I watched as a woman behind the food counter was preparing a stir-fry for a patron.  While she was stirring the mixture, the patron asked if he could have more vegetables.  She didn't even hesitate when she answered 'no'.  There wasn't even room for compromise--she merely shut him down.  What the hell was that?  This was a paying customer who simply asked for a few more carrots and celery in his stir-fry.  Why is customer service lacking in almost every industry known to man?  And why do people take their anger and frustrations out on innocent people in the workplace?  Ludicrous!

Most of the time, it's simple decorum people lack, but logically, it doesn't make sense to be ignorant to people's feelings.  I would agree that being a 'mensch' is easier said than done but one must practice what they preach.  But I see it all too often--people are misinformed, misunderstood, misaligned.  Mistake.

Sometimes when you can't see your own wrong-doings, it can come back to bite you in the ass over time.  It's a cumulative effect, and 'the man upstairs' keeps track.  You can't be an ignoramus for too long, before the truth is highlighted for you.  You must make efforts to treat people kindly and bite your tongue when necessary.  It's a shame that more people aren't humble, naturally kind and selfless. 

Next time you're out in public and you're the 'fly on the wall', observe, listen and promise to never repeat the mistakes of others.  Save yourself from potential embarrassment and leave your anger at the door. 
Instead, be the type of person other people want to emulate.  Because, that's gold; valuable, precious and worth saving.

No comments:

Post a Comment